Friday, November 21, 2008

Social Capital

Today I had a chance of seeing some new-age Social Capital build and utilization at close quarters.

A friend of my took to blogging, networking and making his online presence felt more seriously. He registered himself at various fora and started giving his views/opinions/advice at a number of places.

At one place, he advised someone who had an issue with his current employer. So that person added him into his Friend's list. A few days later, the guy with the problem wanted an HR Software (looks like his current problem was solved with my friend's advice???? maybe). And lo-and-behold, my friend looks at this and informs his new-friend about his software.

It is another matter on whether his earlier advice (given with no expectation) would help him now. But it has definitely allowed him into the permission space of his friend. (my interpretation of Seth Godin and Permission Marketing, although Seth Godin does not use this term anywhere).

So my friend built some amount of Social Capital and was able to help himself with it.

This may look like old-hat. But hey folks, remember, I am new here and also seem to be learning quickly. ;-)

No comments: